Summer is quickly approaching and with little ones it can sometimes be difficult to find things to do that don’t cost a fortune. Here are a few things that I am going to aim to do with Connor this summer, some of them cost money and others are absolutely free.
1. Go on holiday – we haven’t been away since Connor was 6 months old, I’m in desperate need of some sunshine!
2. Take Connor to the Zoo – the boy is animal daft, we went to the Safari Park last year and he loved it!
3. Have a picnic – pretty self explanatory. A blanket, sandwiches, juice, some sweet treats and something for the kids to play with and you’ve got yourself a picnic!
4. Fly a kite – One of Connors friends got him a kite for his Christmas and we haven’t had the chance to use it yet so I’m hoping that we will get the weather for it soon.
5. Make Human Bubbles a la One Charming Party – My boy just loves bubbles, the bigger the better & if he can get inside the bubbles then I think he would love them even more. This looks pretty easy to do – she said hopefully – I will 100% be giving this a try this summer.
6. Random day trips – I used to love it when my Mum & Dad would say we were going for a run in the car. We never knew where we would end up but it always involved a ‘Bar Lunch’ (this meant stopping off at a restaurant for dinner on the way home) and me & my sister loved them. I’m really looking forward to doing the same things with Connor that I enjoyed as a child.
7. Making our own ice lollies – Connor loves an ice lolly, he calls them ‘Lolli-POPS’ – emphasis on the ‘POPS!’. He would absolutely love to make his own. Whether he has the patience to allow them to freeze and actually become proper ice lollies I highly doubt but we will give it a bash.
8. I would love to make this Kiddie Car Wash from Mom Endeavors – how amazing does that look?! Ever since we read How to Win A Monster Race by Caryl Hart, Connor has been asking me to help him build a car wash. Bearing in mind that we live in Scotland and our summers are usually 2 days long & in May, this might not happen on quite as big a scale. I will definitely be attempting to do this in some way or another.
9. Collect shells at the beach – I have a jar of shells with the place name & date of where they came from handwritten on them, sadly I only have shells from 1 place in it so I need to build up my collection this summer!
10. Build a proper sand castle – the sand in his ‘Turtle Sand Pit’ is too soft and doesn’t hold any kind of shape, he’s dying to build sandcastles so we will definitely have to make this one happen.
11. Go strawberry picking – I used to love doing this as a child, and Connor adores strawberries so I think this will be a winner.
12. Go to Deep Sea World – same situation as the Zoo, if it involves animals, Connor is there.
13. Take Connor to Jurassic Kingdom when it comes to Glasgow – I don’t know if I’ve mentioned how much he loves dinosaurs? This is an event which is coming to the Botanic Gardens in Glasgow in August and involves huge dinosaurs coming to life – enough said.
14. Lots of swimming – Connors swimming lessons don’t run over the summer so it’s up to me to make an extra effort to get him to a pool. He loves being in the water so I’m hoping that we can get away somewhere and he can spend the whole day in the pool if he likes. If not I can see us visiting our local swimming baths multiple times a week.
15. Go on a Bear Hunt. We absolutely adore that book in our house and every time we go out a walk Connor wants to look for ‘Thick Oozy Mud’ – he can practically recite the whole book! I’d love to take him on a proper Bear Hunt, I think this might be something to do with all his friends.
That’s all I can think of off the top of my head, I’ll add more ideas as they come to me.
What do you have planned for your summer?